U.S. Coast Guard Documentation
United States Coast Guard Documentation (USCG) Vessel Documentation is a National form of registration for your boat, at the federal level, with the US Coast Guard. Documented boats are recognized through their name and hailing port.
Advantages of USCG Documentation
- Offers protection of the United States
- Provides evidence of your boat’s nationality for international purposes
- Ease of entry in both foreign ports and for United States customs
- Benefits financing matters since lenders may prefer USCG documentation over state registration
- Allows you to apply for a preferred ship mortgage
- Security measure since documentation may deter theft of vessel
How much does this cost and how long does it take?
- The initial USCG application costs $400 and is valid for 1 year from the date of issue
- Processing time takes approximately 4 months
We’ll provide the form and instructions to you and review the form for completeness to help avoid delays in processing which are all too common due to paperwork problems! We’ll also forward the application directly to the USCG for you. In addition, we handle renewal of your USCG Documentation - for an additional fee.
Note: Owner of vessel must be a citizen of the US or have an entity (eg: corporation or LLC) meeting the citizenship requirements for documentation purposes and vessel must measure at least 25 feet and weigh at least five net tons.
If you would like more information about how to obtain or renew your USCG documentation, please get in touch with us here and we’ll be more than happy to help you out!